Monday, June 4, 2018

2018 Acadia 10K

Jean and I wrapped up a week of camping, riding, and hiking on Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park with the Acadia 10K, starting and finished in Bar Harbor.

It has been a fun week, in full "vacation mode" and I hadn't been setting the alarm or getting up early (not with cold beers and camp fires at night). But, the race had a 7am start, so I was awoken to Metallica's rendition of "Am I Evil?" at 5:00 to caffeinate and get to the event in enough time to watch everyone do their pre-race stretching. I don't want to say that I'm "anti-stretch," but I do enjoy watching the WIDE array or pre-run calisthenics that people go through as many remind me of a Monty Python Silly Walk skit.

The start gun went off right on time and we had perfect sunny and cool weather.

I had done the Half Marathon a couple of years ago, and the course was beautiful. It looped through Acadia National Park and had amazing views. The 10K, obviously shorter, didn't have the same visual impact, but did have some great scenery and good hills. The course was an out & back, so any downhill you enjoyed would be paid for one way or another.

In the end, I came in 2nd in my age group (M40-49) and 21st overall. Surprisingly good results, but I'll take it!




No comments:

Post a Comment